I have been a designer of products, experiences, and brands for 16 years. The first 10 were focused on wearable goods and the last 6 have been focused on designing immersive hardware and software products. Finding human centered ways to solve problems efficiently and with aesthetic harmony drives me. My fashion experience has taught me how to define and stay in front of visual trends and my startup experience has helped me focus on the diligence required to bring products to market. I help companies answer the questions, “what should be designed, how should it be used, and what user pain-points will that solve? I believe that the world is made better with great design and I am excited to be part of making products that improve the human experience.
Stair Aware Inc.
User Experience Design Director, Founder
San Francisco, CA – March 2017 to Present
Stair Aware is an Internet connected responsive environment product. The product is currently in the alpha prototype stage undergoing usability testing. My undergraduate thesis work instigated this organizations founding.
• Conducted design strategy, ethnographic research, and user experience strategy.
• Developed a new kind of architectural user interface.
• Recruited a founding team of 3 and a total team of 20 contributors across a wide array of disciplines and backgrounds.
• Driving strategy as principal patent author (in team of 5), for all innovation claims around method, system, and circuit design of the product.
• Designed and built out a 2400 sq. ft. maker space with multi-capacity rapid
prototyping machinery to execute on physical prototyping, circuit prototyping, and testing of the product.
Product Design Lead (Software and Hardware) & Product Manager
San Francisco, CA – March 2015 to present
Smart Lim is the wearable-tech division of Lim Innovations, which is inventing a connected prosthetic socket, to give amputees real time feedback to their terminated limb while increasing mobility and helping to prevent injury.
• Facilitated stakeholder meetings with CEO, VP of Engineering, CIO, head of clinical, and subject matter experts to define and maintain product vision.
• Recruited and managed all key engineering SE, EE, and data science talent for the product team. Drove and owned the product road map. Reported to VP of Eng.
• Executed multiple generative and exploratory user centered research studies with a large amputee research population using a series of ethnographic methods.
• Collaborated with senior data scientist and machine learning engineer to design methods of mitigating and preventing injury using sensor and qualitative data sets, by delivering predictive and prescriptive information to a user in key timelines.
• Designed and shipped visual design, MVP, alpha mobile user interface, interactive prototypes, and numerous physical device prototypes for clinical testing readiness.
Grant: U.S. Office of Naval Research, “Advanced Prosthetic Interfaces and the Integration of a Sensor Technology”
My contributions spanned grant writing, design research, user experience strategy, system design, presentation design, and refining the software and physical prototype demonstrations made to government leadership.
Patent: Prosthetic Socket with Sensors. Prov. Pat. Ser. No. 15/656,540. Filed July 21, 2017. Pub. No.: US 2018/0020973
A1. Pub Date Jan. 25, 2018.
In partnership with a team of inventors, I worked closely with the C.I.O. to outline claims pertaining to the system, responsive mechanical adjustment, sensor location, sensor feedback, human centered qualitative and quantitative measurement methods, algorithm design, and machine learning methods of data analysis.
Ford Research and Innovation Center
Design Strategist, Futurist
Palo Alto, CA – Nov 2016 to Jan 2017
In the early stages of Ford exploring the future of mobility they formed a partnership with my university CCA. Under the leadership of Haakon Faste PhD, my team was tasked with looking into the future of car ownership and autonomous vehicles with a 25-30 year window. We were then to propose a fully branded end-to-end experience for urban mobility services.
• Researched present-day stage signals to define market conditions that would telescope into the future.
• Future cast the probable, plausible, possible, and preferable futures that will exist.
• Designed a smart car battery that can sell power back to the grid at high demand periods, a battery storage and replacement service for vehicles, and a car share service with dynamic personal media.
• Presented design work to head of Ford research leadership and city of City of San Francisco innovation leadership as part of the CCA Vibrant Cities initiative.
M.Power (LRB International, LLC)
Senior Interaction Designer, Product Manager
Seattle, WA and San Francisco, CA –Feb 2013 to Jul 2014
M.Power is a child location bracelet that offers unique learning opportunities to children (particularly children with autism) and helps parents feel safe knowing where their child is.
• Facilitated product strategy with stakeholders and drove experience strategy, product vision, and product road map.
• Designed and conducted competitive analysis, exploratory and generative user research studies that resulted in rich insights about product features and user thinking styles.
• Shipped two user interfaces: one mobile based for an Apple device and the other in a wearable mobile LED matrix worn by the user that had a unique way of teaching children task based time.
• Produced works like and looks like physical prototypes of the proposed product.
• Calibrated business model and helped secure early stage financing from angel seed investors.
• Recruited and led a five-person product development team of EE, SE, ME, ID, and IxD.
Seattle, WA –Feb 2012 to Dec 2013
Heated Details is a digital advertising and web development firm. My engagements were client project specific.
• Designed digital products for web and Android and iOS mobile.
• In depth data visualization designs for numerous dashboard products linking to complex content management systems.
• Feature clients included Mercedes Benz, Noble House Hotel & Resorts, Digital Artists, Boost Mobile and Sound Health.
Creative Director & Founder
Los Angeles, CA & Hong Kong, CN – 2011 to 2014
Tradesrogue is an artisan leather house that manufacturers premium leather bags and jackets.
• Set up initial corporate entity, designed branding, established trademark, designed website, and designed all products.
• Launched brand during NY fashion week 2011; featured in Elle, Harpers Bazaar, CW Network (90210) major episode placement.
• Secured premium Int’l distribution, key accounts H Lorenzo (LA), Beams (Japan), Carrots (SF) Alchemist (Miami), Lorenzo (Soho)
• Built 2k-sqft high-end leather factory in partnership with XCVI to produce samples and final production orders.
• Developed a lower priced sub bag brand for Nordstrom and set up Hong Kong MFG partnerships to supply it.
Senior Knitwear Designer & Art Director
Los Angeles, CA & Guangzhou China – 2009-2011
XCVI is women’s contemporary lifestyle brand that does full collection, private label, and full package MFG. for select clients.
• Grew annual sales quarter over quarter from 50k annual to 2 MM for my division, brand total 50+ MM.
• Led the build of a 7k sq. ft. printing facility on site in Los Angeles for discharge and sublimation printing that output 20k pc p/mo.
• Head hunted all print facility talent, set up new vendor relationships, and developed all systems/procedures to hit 20k unit output.
• Designed 85 (sku) graphics, 5 seasons per year, executed all separation & film output, and directed final print execution.
• MGD cut, sew, dye sample production and sourced multiple outside LA vendors to for numerous external product processes.
• Achieved division profitability, streamlined all processes, and trained my replacement.
Deeper Shades of Soul Inc.,
Creative Director, Founder
Bali Indonesia, HK China, SF, LA –Jan 2002 to Dec 2008
D.S.O.S. was a street couture lifestyle brand making men’s and women’s apparel sold to premium retailers globally. I dropped out of college and founded this company when I was 21. I consider this my formal business education.
• Grew account volume to 125 boutique accounts and 2 major department store, highest grossing year 1.1 MM in sales.
• Partnered with a SV venture capitalist, who chaired my board and mentored me on start-ups and how to manage a P & L.
• Raised $900K through series A & B Venture financing through 1 major fund and 25 individual investors.
• Built an US based warehouse and logistics operation, Indonesian design studio, two core factories (1 leather, 1 technical printing), and managed 5 supporting vendor factories. • Designed 4 full collections annually cut/sew/print production of men’s and women’s apparel.
Creative Director, Founder
San Francisco & Los Angeles, CA –Jan 2002 to Dec 2010
Pixel Pusher was a creative client service business performing services in the consulting categories of: production management,
Intl. production, web design, apparel design, brand identity, tradeshow booth design, and graphics for apparel, private label design/production, music tour merchandise and graphic color separation.
• Creative directed all client work and managed all engagement design to final delivery.
• New client development and presentation design
• Managed the P&L and client relations.
• Notable Clients: Cirque Du Soliel, Pepsi, Microsoft, Harvey Nichols, Beams Intl., Hoorsenbuhs, Bassnectar, iLL.Gates, Om Records, Viceroy Hotel Group, Osea Cosmetics, Ed Hardy, Christian Audigier, Junk Food, Lip Service, and Aegix.
California College of the Arts, SF, CA– 2014 to 2018,
BFA Interaction Design
Graduated With Distinction
IXDA (CCA Chapter), , SF, CA 2016 – (estimated 2018)
Co:Chair of IXDA Student Chapter at CCA
• Organized talks with thought leaders in design and technology to speak to students at the university.
+ Systems thinker with a passion for modeling large amounts of information.
+ Storytelling, presentation design, digital illustration, prototyping, service design, design research, design strategy, information
architecture, UX/UI design, product management, circuit design, technology implementation, usability testing, and visual design.
+ Ability to design from user flow, to wire- frame, to pixel-perfect visual design.
+ Experienced startup founder.
+ P&L and production management
+ Real world Intl. production, logistics, and supply agreement negotiation experience
Solidworks, Rhino, Fusion 360, C4D, Unreal Virtual Reality Engine
Web and Mobile Front End
Sketch, React Native, HMTL 5, CSS3, Java Script, WordPress CMS
Principle, Framer, Invision, Key Note, Processing, Arduino, Cycling 74 Max, Pololu, Particle
Graphic Design & Media
Sketch, Full Adobe suite, Final Cut Pro, Motion 5, Corel Painter, Wasatch Rip, T Seps
Gerber AccuMark, sewing, and hand drafting to cutting patterns